Have you ever wanted to make an image look more interesting or give it a different effect? Photoshop can do this in many ways, and one of the most effective is to make any color transparent.
Transparent colors can be used to highlight certain elements of an image or create unique effects. This is also quite easy to do in Photoshop; all you need is a few clicks and you’ll get the desired result.
In this blog post, we will go through the steps on how to make any color transparent in Photoshop.
To make transparent background in Photoshop, you will need a color photo and Adobe Photoshop. You can make any color in the photo transparent, but we recommend starting with a light color.
Using Magic Wand Tool
When it comes to making colors transparent in Photoshop, the first tool you’ll want to reach for is the Magic Wand Tool. This tool is located in the Tools Panel, usually on the left side of your screen. To select the Magic Wand Tool, simply click on its icon or press the W key on your keyboard.
After selecting the Magic Wand Tool, go ahead and click on the color you want to make transparent. Doing so will select all pixels that look like the color you clicked.
If you want to be more precise in your selection, you can hold down the Shift key and click on additional colors you want to include in your selection. You can also Alt-click to remove an area from your selection.
After selecting the Magic Wand Tool, you can customize your selections in the options screen that opens above. This area contains options for using the Magic Wand Tool more effectively.
- Sample Size: Calculates the number of more pixels for the selection. It can be increased up to 101 by 101. The more you increase, the easier it is to select similar tones.
- Tolerance: The default tolerance value is 32 pixels. It means that the pixel color you choose can select pixels 32 shades above and below. The more you increase it, the larger the pixel range will be.
- Anti-alias: When you make a selection and edit it, the edges remain jagged. By selecting this, you get a more beautiful image. If you don’t know what it means, make sure it is always checked.
- Contiguous: When enabled, this option selects pixels that touch the pixel where you click. When not enabled, it selects all similarly toned pixels on the photo.
- Sample All Layers: If you have more than one layer in your workspace, selecting this option allows you to select similar color tones from all layers.
Now that we know all the options of the Magic Wand Tool, let’s learn how to make the background of an image transparent and how to remove the background color.
- Select the Magic Wand Tool and click on the background in the photo. If we don’t like the selection as soon as we click, we can edit the Tolerance value.
- Press Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + I to reverse the selection. This way we will have selected only the main object.
- In the Layers panel, click on the mask icon to create a mask of the layer.
- Although masks make selected objects transparent, it may be necessary to refine them for better results. To do this, double click on the layer mask. When you’re done refining the selection, click the Ok button.
Making color transparent in Photoshop is a quick and easy process when you use the Magic Wand Tool.
Using the Color Range
Color Range is one of Photoshop’s most powerful tools. It allows you to select a range of colors and then make those colors transparent. It is possible to make a solid color background transparent using the Color Range.
- To use Color Range, open the image you want to edit in Photoshop.
- Then, go to Select > Color Range.
- A dialog box will appear. In the dialog box you will see a preview of your image. Select the Eyedropper tool and choose the color you want to make transparent.
- You can change the coverage of the currently selected color by increasing or decreasing the Fuziness value. If you press Shift, you can increase your selection by selecting a new color area. Then click the Ok button.
We can redo the operations we did with the Magic Wand Tool at this stage. Thus, we can create a more beautiful decoupaged image.
Export your image transparently in Photoshop
Exporting an image with transparency in Photoshop can be done in a few simple steps.
- Open the desired image and make the necessary changes.
- Once you are satisfied with the result, go to File > Export > Export As and select PNG from the Format field.
- Make sure the Transparency option is checked.
- This will ensure that all transparency areas in your design are exported correctly. Finally, click OK and save your file, you have now successfully exported an image with transparency.
I hope this tutorial on how to make transparent background in Photoshop has helped you.
Whether it’s to create interesting digital artwork or simply to make your images look more professional and attractive, making a background transparent can be an incredibly useful tool.
With the help of these simple steps, you should have no problem creating transparency in your images using Photoshop.